homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety--freezers

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety--freezers
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:05:36 -0800

I just set them in rows. I have a couple of types. Old chest freezers and uprights. They get some holes drilled in them and then filled with lots of the usual "stuff" to make compost. You close them up over night and leave them open just a crack during the day and they really go to town and you have lovely compost in short order! Then I take the doors off and plant in them.

Youngest and I use them as canvases and paint them like bricks or stones or paint ivy on them or flowers. They look really cool with the various melons and squashes growing over the sides.

Then come winter, I have a couple that I'm going to use as cold frames. We picked up some old windows from Freecycle and I'll put them on top.

DH is digging out a section for a hoop house and I'll be using freezers in there because they are insulted which should keep soil warm enough to grow cool weather veggies even in the snow.

AND, DH remembered Pat's thing about lettuce and took one of the freezer doors which had built in shelves and put it up on some old sawhorses he found down in the dump on this property. Then he got one of those kind of canopy/shade thingys from Freecycle and set the lettuce "tray" under there. I filled the "shelves" with composted goodies and I should have lettuce all summer long! Wahoo!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Do you bury the freezers or just fill them with dirt? I've never heard of this....bford