homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:34:27 -0500

On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:41 AM, bob ford wrote:

I don't know anything about moles, but with armadillos----bane of deerhunters and country folk alike. If they decide to dig underneath your rocks they will. I've seen them dig a burrow undeneath the concrete slab of a patio.

We have groundhogs who do that. I think they and dillers share holes.

They don't want your garden plants. Probably, you have worms, etc in your garden composted soil. That's their munchies.

Oh, yeah. Munchies and main course. Did I mention the craters in the yard and fields? Looks like an invasion of miniature bombers came in the night.

You've done just about everything you can do except buying a case of .22 short rifle . That might help with rabbits also.

Short rifle may or may not do some good, unless a head shot. I shot one once with my 20-gauge full choke from about thirty feet. He jumped up in the air about five feet and ran about a hundred feet before he realized he was dead.

The only other option , other than your roofed cage, is a pair of totally outside dogs. A big mean one for the armadillos and a beagle for the rabbits...bford

Yeah, dogs are the only sane answer. It might be fun to shoot them at night with a night vision scope but it would get old after awhile, staying up hoping to spot one.