homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chinese plum sauce

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chinese plum sauce
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:06:57 -0400

That sounds awesome, Sage...thanks...I have everything but coriander..

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
Bev--I found this on www.recipezaar.com Sounds about right. Funny, we went into the big city yesterday and ate Moo Shoo Vegetables and this sauce was on my mind, too--Sage

Chinese Plum Sauce
Ingredients
8 cups plums, pitted, Halved (3 lb/1.5 kg)
1 cup onion, Chopped
1 cup water
1 teaspoon gingerroot, Minced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon coriander, Ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon clove
Directions
1In large heavy saucepan, bring plums, onions, water, ginger and garlic to boil over medium heat; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until plums and onions are very tender, about 30 minutes.
2Press through food mill or sieve and return to clean pan; stir in sugar, vinegar, coriander, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cloves.
3Bring to boil, stirring; reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture reaches consistency of applesauce, about 45 minutes.
4Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 30 minutes.
5Makes about 4 cups

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:39:20 -0400