homestead - Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:27:20 -0800

I wouldn't use Rubbermaid-ish containers, Lisa. I use tin. Rubbermaid, et. al. cause alternate sweating and drying which is death on seed viability.

I just got a 100% on some scarlet runner beans that are 6 years old. Now, my 10 year old strawberry popcorn didn't fare so well. Not sure how much actually came up cause something came along and ate it all! Didn't touch the regular corn, only the strawberry popcorn.

Sheesh, now I won't have any fun stuff from the garden this year <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

What is your method? I hope to better my 'system' (a term used loosely). I
keep seeds in their original envelope inside a Rubbermaid-type container in
the basement (cooler than upstairs). Must I give up fridge space?

This question was prompted by a recent planting of '05 bean seed that
germinated 20% at best. I soaked the seed overnight but it was dry the next
two weeks which might have been the problem. I didn't water often therefore
it may be my fault and not old bean seed--or a fatal combination of the two.

How old is too old and for what seed? In the past I've saved seed from
tomatoes and various curcubits. I could get this from a book, but I want to
hear what you have to say.