homestead - Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:06:48 EDT

> Sheesh, now I won't have any fun stuff from the garden this year <g>

Yeah, you will, if I have any say-so.

I, too, have a Rubbermaid container full of envelopes...but not all seeds
for human consumption / fodder.

I pick up seeds, heads, pods wherever I happen to be, and label them with
date and place.

'Tis true that plastic bags are a no-no. Mold rules.

Then again, when I go through the collection, I come across things like
"Unknown. Amtrack station - Santa Clarita - November 1998".

It's not just seeds'n'stuff that are in that container. Memories, too.

I collected those Amtrack seeds just before dawn, as I was dropping off a
friend to see his mother (now 106 - and thriving!). When the train pulled
away,
I sat down on the bench outside the otherwise empty station, and was joined
by a young employee who - for reasons unknown - began to recount her
experience a few hours earlier - in the dead of night - when a lone coyote
had
ventured down onto the platform, and the two of them, only yards apart,
exchanged a
lot of information. He stood up to go. She stood up to go.

I will never see that young lady again, and that's OK. I hope she remembers
me, too. I haven't been back, but I would imagine that the pre-dawn hillside
is now completely covered over by asphalt and concrete.

I looked back over my shoulder after we made our farewells, and she was
looking back, too. Just as the eerie, unnerving cry of a coyote sounded from
the
top of the hill.

Just seeds? No.

Sandy