homestead - Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:52:06 -0500

I save seed in the envelopes that come with our bills, since we pay most of them by electronic check. I write on them the type of seed and date collected, and store them in a medium sized cardbord box set up with used file folders marked with the categories of vegetable. I keep the box in a dark closet. The moisture in the fridge can harm some seed. Unless you can be assured your seed is totally dry, I would not store them in plastic where they could mold. I've not had much luck with anything I previously stored in plastic bags or film canisters, etc.

If you have planted several varieties of the same species together, be aware that unless you have bagged and hand polinated you will get a mix of plants not necessarily like the parent. One year I accepted some bell pepper seedlings grown by a friend, and they ended up being some beautifully strange ornamental peppers, everything but. I know with squash you can get some inedible gourds if you are not careful. I do not know the rules of how far apart varieties must be placed to keep them consistent, but presumably far enough apart so that the pollen blows off the pollinator traveling between. I've only seen one pamplet from a northern state extension office detailing such spacing. If anyone can point me to an internet resource that would be great. Although our neighbors say they are worried because they have not seen any bees, our squash and melon patch is humming with bumblebees and all kinds of smaller bees.

As for germination rates, the seeds of some plants, kept in the right conditions, can last for centuries, such as Kamut which supposedly came from a few grains found in a tomb. Other seeds only last for a season, such as the endangered Texas Wild Rice. To keep this species alive there are plans to develop a refugium of runnels of flowing water where it can be propagated and reintroduced into the San Marcos River. So the germination window is going to vary on each vegetable. I don't know of a rescource outlining this. I have experienced in beans the germination goes way down after the second year. Also, I have experienced a much lower germination rate on heirloom plants.

We were recently pleased to see that our turnip greens, arugula, and cilantro reseeded themselves. Since I just finished reading Fukuoka's One Straw Revolution, I think he would approve of this "no-farming" method. I must report that the 100 tomato plants we planted in the prairie using the no-till method are now bearing. What is evident is the prairie is not very fertile and the plants are not growing as large as when we grew them in our raised bed compost-amended soil. One tomato variety seems to be exceptionally thriving: San Marzano Paste. It doesn't seem to mind the lack of fertility. It will be our salvation. We are thinking at the end of the season we will lay the plants down, cover with a light layer of alfalfa, and top with chicken manure and try again next spring since the drip irrigation is in place.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:38:43 -0400