homestead - Re: [Homestead] 100 Thing Challenge

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 100 Thing Challenge
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:32:53 -0400

On Jun 14, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

Tools are my interest. For a minimal tool set I would suggest the
following.

Firewood
Crosscut saw
Double bitted ax

Don,

I have used a number of different axes. My favorite for limbing downed trees and such is a hatchet head I put on a boys ax handle in about 1958 while I was a junior leader at scout camp. I have here a hudson's bay style ax that needs de-rusting, sharpening and some smoothing of the handle. I think it may be as handy for light work as the boys-handled hatchet head.

But I've never used a double bitted ax. They seem intimidating somehow, and I suspect they are a bit heavy. I remember hearing that they were used by lumberjacks because they could be sharpened and shaped for two different kinds of cutting. Issat so?

Roy

PS: Were/What is the antique tractor repair/restoration mailing list? It looks like we are going to own the 1950 International Harvester W-4. I talked with our neighbor, a lifetime farmer, about the 1944 H-4 he was turning hay with. Just about the same tractor, he reported. Also, he converted his to a 12 volt system after some years of trouble. He guessed that the asking price of the seller was about right, and said that very few W-4's were to be found around here in Virginia/Maryland.

I'm hoping I can download at least an owners manual from online somewhere.

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180