homestead - Re: [Homestead] Observations from my State Convention

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Observations from my State Convention
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:58:28 EDT

> Yes, there actually was discussion on the need to reduce
> consumption, although we all know it would be difficult to
> legislate something like this.

--------------

Ah, well, and more's the pity, something along those lines is what I would
suspect.

I wasn't referring to conservation, but rather a perpendicular, right angle
turn away from a life whose quality is measured by the extent of energy
consumption.

As you can see, in this, I am from another planet entirely. I mean taking
satisfaction, pride, accomplishment in NOT using energy, not mirthlessly
hitting
our toe with the hammer of conservation.

Not that we need higher MPG but rather reexamine our desires to go zipping
about everywhere all the time.

Not that we need more efficient lighting, but lives out in the sunshine and
up and about in the daylight.

Not that we need new sources of heating and cooling, but that we get some
thrill out of being made of sterner stuff.

Etc. perhaps you get my drift.

You are right, one cannot legislate that. But one could lead.

James </HTML>