homestead - [Homestead] And so it goes

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] And so it goes
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:20:06 -0700

This is the housing situation where I am now.
http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2008/06/temecula-15-of-homes-reo-or-in.html
"Today, said Rich Johnston, Temecula's deputy director of building and safety
and code enforcement, as many as 15% of Temecula's 22,500 single-family homes
are bank-owned or in some stage of foreclosure."

It is exacerbated by the long commute to anywhere and a total lack of any
sort of mass transportation. Temecula is built around the I-15 Freeway that
leads south to San Diego and North to Riverside and freeways into Orange
County and Los Angles. The only local jobs are service. I expect to pay
around $4.30 a gallon when I fill this morning.
http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2008/06/oil-house-prices-and-exurban-lifestyle.html
"``It was drive until you qualify'' for a mortgage, says Robert Lang,
director of the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech in Alexandria,
Virginia. ``You can't do that anymore. Your cost of transportation will spike
too much.''"

Rural workers are hit even worse, some are quitting jobs they can no longer
afford to drive to.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/business/09gas.html

Don Bowen KI6DIU