homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:14:05 -0800

They've studied it in aquatic situations and it has a half-life of 15.4 hours in water with a pH of 9.

Now chemically, it is 5-hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinones. So, what we need is a neutralizer of those two incombo.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Thanks. It appears to be focussed on companion planting for black
walnut commercial production. Priced at $32.00, I can live without it.

I've researched the phytotoxin juglone more today. Not all bad; it can
be used as an herbicide.

I've not found a definitive list of plants affected by and not
affected by juglone. So I am adding to each list as I find new
suggestions.

Seems to me that a smart chemist like, say, one living and
homesteading in NW Georgia, should be able to tell us how to
neutralize this nasty stuff.

Meanwhile, I moved the apple tree today that is closest to the walnut
out off the east end of the main garden. Interestingly, the leaf ends
are already showing the blight-like symptoms of juglone poisoning. I
planted that tree April 25th, this year. I would not be surprised if
it dies.