homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:18:03 -0700

I don't think it will matter much at this point who is in the White House,
though I prefer a Dem. The damage has been done and we're in deep shinola
from so many angles.

No matter who takes office next January they will first have to address the mess made by the current administration. I hope they have the time to reflect but I suspect they will not. Many things are coming down on us and the so called 800 pound gorilla is not even being talked about. Peak oil is here, it is now, and it is forcing changes. None of the candidates are doing anything more than talking up a gas tax holiday which will do nothing to fix the problem. I give Mr. Obama great credit for not falling for that particular platitude.

And yes they all talk in platitudes. What would have happened is Mr. Obama had said something to the affect that we will have to give up our SUVs. What if he said that there is no magic and that the supply of oil is limited and gasoline may go down if we stop using nearly as much. What do you think the press would say if he said one major problem will be cleaning out the new hires at the DOJ?

I also prefer a Democrat, mostly because McCain portends more of the same, continued exposure in Iraq, more tax cuts for the wealthy, more uninsured, etc.

Don Bowen KI6DIU