homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future is here

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future is here
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:01:33 -0800

Blasphemy! Olive oil is essential! Why the nonas, nonis and mothers of Naples are raising up in arms as we speak!

As to methane. Go with goats or sheep. They produce less than 20% of the methane AND goats eating brush (which contain tannins) produce 50% less methane than other goats.

Although that wasn't one of the basis (hair sheep, milder flavor, less greasy, less squirrely, less problems with parasites and diseases, slim or no lambing problems, at least 3 lambings per 2 years, multiple births to quads after first lambing AND ability to feed quads) for the sheep that youngest is buying (St. Croix ewes and White Dorper ram), it could be an added benefit because those two breeds are browsers, not just grazers and we certainly have a LOT of tannin around here!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I do not keep cows or goats or sheep, but except for the cheese I
believe I could could raise all the other essential ingredients for a
good pizza. Unless one considers olive oil to be essential. So, if the
baking were accomplished by hand-cut wood and soil for grain and
veggies were hand prepared and with a neighbor that provides milk or
cheese--not using a vehicle for delivery-- perhaps the carbon foot
print could be only the, um, methane that the milking ruminant expels.