homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future is here

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future is here
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 06:54:21 -0400

On May 23, 2008, at 2:08 AM, don.bowen AT earthlink.net wrote:

......Oil industry spokespeople are
starting to say that we will peak at 100 million barrels a day but those may
be wildly optimistic........

It is kind of amusing (in a grim sort of way) to see 'peak oil' suddenly popping up everywhere, and increasingly in mainstream media after seeing the idea laughed at and dismissed for so long. Looks like more and more sheeple are beginning to slowly lift their heads from gorging at the trough of techno-overconsumption and noticing that, 'hmmm, something doesn't seem quite right!' When my overstuffed, SUV-driving, bulk-processed chem-ag food-product gulping, voted-for-you-know-who-because-he's-the-one-they'd-rather- have-a-beer-with, suspicious of brown people, 'real American' relatives start acting less bemused by my homesteading endeavors and earnestly talking about 'alternative energy' change appears to be underfoot. I suppose things are likely to get very painful, but I'm going to go for optimism, and hope that the challenge results in the vast majority of people discovering that we have far more in common than not and that we can meet all of our needs without destroying each other and the planet. Its going to be a bumpy ride, but it will be interesting and maybe even fun...