homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:59:22 -0500

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

>> Anyone know
>> if it's an American native?
>
> It is not. It has been used for human food for so long, no one knows for
> sure where it came from, but certainly from eithre India or China.

Well, durn, I thought that all members of the nightshade family were
American, and I really, really wondered what all those Eastern peoples
did for heat in the old days. It's almost unthinkable to imagine Asian
food (India, southeast Asia, Szechwan) without extreme heat. Since
eggplant and peppers are so closely related they both had to be
present early on. Right? Or am I missing something? (which i
frequently am).

Marie