homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soy foods

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:16:28 -0500

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Tofu is made by first making soy milk which is nothing more than cooking the
> soybeans, griding them into a puree, and draining the liquid. ...Okara is
> a wonderful meat extender and soy whey adds a lot of vitamins, especially B
> vitamins, to veggies when you cook them in it. Good soup base too.

Amen. When I lived in Chicago and would pick up a bucket of soybeans
when I visited my parents to make tofu from, I wasn't able in any way
to use up the okara (and I tried -- we even had a tiny backyard where
I dug it into the little bit of ground that we had for flowers and put
it into the buckets that I grew tomatoes in). Now that I live in the
country, I have no trouble using it all up.

Fresh tofu, even that made from field beans, is wonderful stuff. I've
never tried to make any of the fermented stuff. Amazing, isn't it,
that we humans learned to make so many things that are good and good
for us through using fermentation?

Marie