homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:27:26 -0500

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:07 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Any peasant ethnic food from around the world offers good examples. Tonight
> we had bean tacos (beans, corn tortillas, onions, lettuce, sour cream, and
> quesa blanca all from the homestead, yet another 100% homestead meal!)

When I was a kid, most of our meals were from stuff we'd grown, and we
frequently made note of that. OTOH, we all liked to finish up with ice
cream in those days, and we only made that with our own stuff for
holidays.

James is absolutely right about peasant ethnic food (but even ethnic
food for any class is much lower in meat content than the standard
American diet).

I grow eggplants every year to use in all the dishes James mentions.
Mediterranean food would not be the same without eggplant. Anyone know
if it's an American native? And how did the rest of the world get by
without hot peppers?

Marie