homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soy foods

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:56:03 -0500

You might consider adding a product called Quorn made from fungi, if you have access to it. The taste is similar to chicken (we fool a lot of people with it) and it comes in many forms, all found in the frozen food section. It's comparable in price to meat. There's also seitan or wheat meat.

Although we avoid almost all packaged, processed foods, there is only so much we can do with tofu. Several years ago, when soy was my main protien, I developed a large, benign tumor and asked my surgeon if he thought I could get rid of it by some holistic method. He said it might be possible, but would take a long time. I decided to go soy free for six months, and by my check up exam the tumor had shrunk to one third it's size (where it's remained). He was absolutely amazed.

We eat soy in moderation now. I've been vegetarian (eggs & cheese OK) for most of my life as I am allergic to everything except turkey, which I don't eat anymore. I'd be happy to share some recipes with you soon.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:31:52 -0400