homestead - Re: [Homestead] McKibben et al, was Do you have your affairs in order?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] McKibben et al, was Do you have your affairs in order?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:55:55 -0800

Maybe someone can send the current folks running for prez a copy of the book. The latest this morning was a promise of $1.5 Billion a year for encouraging "green" cars. The folks pushing these electric cars never cease to amaze me. Ah, what are they going to do with all the used batteries AND we really need a bigger draw on the electric producing capacity of this country. Plus a promise of several hundred million for Michigan car manufacturers.

Why don't they just change the name of the country to Chinaca and be done with it!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "tom" <tom AT honeychrome.com>

<<Bill McKibben is one of the many authors I regularly read. I recently
finished his most recent book "Deep Economy." His ideas are well worth
considering.

I just started on Kevin Phillips newest book "Bad Money." He is
taking us
to task for out huge debt both public and private.

Don Bowen KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/Journal.html>>

Have you read Howard Odum's The Prosperous Way Down?

Odum was a systems ecologist who worked and wrote with his wife on
issues of sustainability and energy-systems modellling in the 80s and
90s- I'm sure McKibben read and was influenced by him. Dry and not
as eloquent as McKibben and others, but pretty compelling.

There is a brief synopsis of the above book here (http://
www.energybulletin.net/3813.html), but the whole book is worth a read.