homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:09:13 -0400

> That's the main reason I made the post. I had never seen instructions
> to plant blueberries in pure sphagnum peat moss before. Usually the
> directions call for mixing it with the native soil. But I figure a
> blueberry nurseryman who has a replacement policy must know what he is
> talking about.

I planted mine out last month. I'd had them in a nursery bed for two
years. They were 1 year cuttings when I planted them. I got mine from
Finch Nursery in NC. They recommend planting in soil and then mounding
peat moss on top.

But, I think that you are right, they guarantee the plants, so I'd
follow their directions. I've learned that a replacement policy is a
good thing. Gurney's has one. I had a peach replaced last year that
piddled out. This year they replaced a pear tree that my goats ate.

Rob - Va