homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 21:15:33 -0400

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
wrote:

> I planted 13 blueberry bushes this spring, of several varieties. I
> mixed about 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 soil. All are already blooming.

It's interesting that some of you want varieties to extend the season. Here
we pick for two weeks straight early on, sometimes longer, and then are
done. No more blues, but they're followed by raspberries. We take a breather
and then we're hit by ripe peaches, followed by pears and apples.

We thought for two minutes about adding mid- or late-season berries to
extend our picking season, but since we're inundated with other fruit later
we'd prefer for our blueberry rush to stay kaput early in July.

Checked just the seckel pear and the peach tonight, both are loaded, it's
going to be a great fruitful summer.

This year we're adding two grape vines to the mix.

To each their own.

Lisa