homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:15:28 -0500

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:07 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> By the bye, Rob, did it ever occur to question why everyone is always
> tracing
> their slave ancestory to Southern plantations and never northern farms and
> factories. There's a very good reason. The slave "property" of the
> Northern
> states was sold into death and oblivion to foreign slave traders. Southern
> slaves were not.

That seems a broad generalization. From reading accounts of various
families, I know that some northern slaves were sold back into the
south and some were freed, but that was just before or near the time
of the Civil War. Perhaps, it happened on a broader scale at an
earlier time when more northerners owned slaves.

I thought, though I could be wrong, that quite a few of the slaves who
escaped via the Underground Railroad ended up in Canada.

I guess I'm wondering if you have any numbers.

Marie