homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:57:59 -0400

> >There are a number of references to
>
> > disobedient slaves in Missouri puniished by being sold
> > "down the river".
>
> "Down the River" was the sugar plantations in Louisiana. I've no
> doubt it
> happened, but not to the extent of the divesting of slave
> property that took
> place anticipating emanicaption laws in the Northern states. </HTML>

There is much left out of the history books. A good read on slavery, which
allows that under some systems like "the task system", Southern slavery was
less onerous than that popularly portrayed is "South Carolina A History" by
Walter Edgar.

It's a hefty volume but seems to maintain a balanced view of the forces at
play.

Warren