homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meeting David Wilson
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:37:59 EDT

> Interesting in extensive reading in history I've never
> heard of slaves in US being sold to foreign slave
> traders.

Of course you haven't. You probably haven't read that during the War for
Southern Independence the North was still carring on slave trade. Ships
registered in Rhode Island, owned by Northerners, and taxed by the US
government, were
with full knowledge of all parties trafficking in slaves between Africa, the
Caribbean, and Brazil during the early 1860's.

Lots of things escaped the history books. What are the odds??

>There are a number of references to

> disobedient slaves in Missouri puniished by being sold
> "down the river".

"Down the River" was the sugar plantations in Louisiana. I've no doubt it
happened, but not to the extent of the divesting of slave property that took
place anticipating emanicaption laws in the Northern states. </HTML>