homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coosa River Watershed

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coosa River Watershed
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:00:55 -0500

On Apr 26, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

I tried one of my sisters "boats" in a perfectly smooth small pond.
Scared me some. Gimme a helicopter any day.

My brother is a whitewater enthusiast. Been down the Grand Canyon three times, Alaskan rivers at least twice, all the big northwestern rivers, the wilder the better. He uses both raft and kayak. He took me on a raft trip once, a nice, easy trip, right? Imagine the front of a raft almost straight down, then almost straight up. There is a now infamous movie short often shown at rafting club parties of this guy in the front of the raft giving the folks on the bank high fives after just getting through some wicked rock drops making the raft go crazy. Trouble is, while I was elated that we got through, my brother, clearly shown in the movies, is swimming like crazy to get back to the raft after being thrown out. It's easier staying in if you can hold onto the ropes rather than the oars.