homestead - Re: [Homestead] fruits

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fruits
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:55:13 EDT

> >Well, I hope all of our fruits make it through, but right now we have
> 34 degrees predicted for Monday morning and when one lives down in a
> hollow one knows that one just might see a couple degrees less than
> predicted.

Remember though that the fruit is only in danger from such temps (31-34, say)
when the blossoms are open but not yet pollinated. It takes a lot colder
than that to harm the unopened blossoms or the fruit buds once the pedals
have
dropped.

Here's a pome and drupe fruit trick: One big Granny Smith apple tree lost
its pollinator in the drought last year. Without a pollinator it will set on
exactly no fruit. I went about the immediate neighborhood and broke off
small
branches of every wild an abandoned apple tree I could find and hung the
opening blossoms in my GS tree. As unlikely as his seems, it works. </HTML>