homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coosa River Watershed

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coosa River Watershed
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:22:19 -0400

On Apr 26, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:
My brother is a whitewater enthusiast. Been down the Grand Canyon
three times,

I can understand such madness, but I'm unlikely to go for it in a big way.

By the way, some of the oldest rock on the surface of the earth is found at the lower end of the grand canyon, where it forms the bedrock. Vishnu Schist. I tell everyone I meet who might go there that I want a small pepple of it. It is against the regulations to collect samples in the park, but the whole earth is made of the stuff in that area! It's black, dense and smooth.

Roy

Alaskan rivers at least twice, ... Imagine the front of a
raft almost straight down, then almost straight up.

I can imagine that. I was on an 800 foot carrier through one hurricane. The deck was 40 feet from the water (normally) and was digging into the swells with green water coming over the bow. A long time ago now. But an 800 foot steel ship is a whole different thing than an air inflated raft!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180