homestead - Re: [Homestead] fruits

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fruits
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:07:52 -0500

On Apr 26, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

You could thin out the fruit, now is a good time when they are olive size.
Looks like we might have a good year this year as well, though we're getting
hail as I speak. The large Stayman winesap apple was just starting to drop
petals from blossoms today, hopefully it's well pollinated and 'safe' by
now.

Hurray for fruit, hurray for escaping frost and hurray for a busy canning
season ahead. Looks like we'll have plenty to share.

Well, I hope all of our fruits make it through, but right now we have 34 degrees predicted for Monday morning and when one lives down in a hollow one knows that one just might see a couple degrees less than predicted. And it has been my observation that my weather often predicts by a day or two what a lot of you get.

Meanwhile yesterday, I was halfway through planting three new apples when a squall came through and dumped a half inch of rain in about ten minutes. So then I got to go out and finish the job in pure mucky, sticky clayey mud. They trees will make it only if they can survive several days of being essentially drowned.