homestead - [Homestead] fruits

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] fruits
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:03:54 -0400

This is our 10th year at EarthNSky. We planted a number of fruit trees in the first year or two, and I continue to add to the list of fruits every year. In all that time, though, I have never seen a year like this. Usually we have some sort of calamity happen and the fruit pickings are slim to none. This year is shaping up to be so bountiful that it might be problematic. Every fruiting tree and vine on the property is doing well. I have multiple pears, apples, grapes, peaches, figs, etc. etc. all doing well. My plum tree is so loaded, literally thousands I think, that I would have plenty if I only pick 1 out of every 20 on the tree right now. I've made jam from that tree before, but never seen a crop like this. They are the size of large olives right now. There is a nectarine in the front yard that must have 250 fruits on it...in the past, I have gotten 1 fruit from that tree.
Three of my apples have never fruited, but this year they are literally covered in pea sized apples. The blueberries are covered up with blooms...It is all amazing.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky