homestead - Re: [Homestead] And Thus Spoke Pennsylvania

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And Thus Spoke Pennsylvania
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:59:23 -0800

I had hope of there being younger more educated voters becoming involved when we heard the same thing during Kerry's campaign.

Well, the problem was that the younger generation seems to have a very short attention span. They seem to like the, what?, novelty maybe, of the primaries, particularly caucases (that one's a no brainer, a caucus is a party, party on). Less than half seem to have done any voting in the actual election and even less in any elections since.

I was very disappointed!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I was thinking more long term than this election. I'm hoping today's
kids are going to become thoughtful responsible educated voters of
tomorrow. Like I said, other than being anxious about the next
President's appts to the SC, it's pretty much all the dang same. It
might BE all the dang same, really. I hope not.

I look at this
stupid primary and the only thing I feel is sickened by the waste of

[sigh] I suppose I ought to keep quiet and quit being a broken
record. On
the other hand, how am I to become famous for Jamesethusian
Economics. Ya
never know, do they give a Nobel Prize for annoying people??

Just because you don't spend the money on the campaign, it doesn't
mean there
is that much money to spend on anything else. I wonder what it
would take to
break the ironclad mantra that money is something real?? Right now,
as you
have heard, people are having a hard time buying bulk staples such
as rice.
Let's suppose that to relieve that, we took ALL the campaign money
and gave it
to people to so they could buy more rice. What would happen? Would
more rice
suddenly appear in the warehouses and silos?

No, the amount of rice would stay the same and its price would shoot
through
the roof.
</HTML>

No, I'm with you. I wasn't really talking about the individual dollars
or the legality of political donations, but more about the whole
process. I was listening to the opinions about how the SC decision
today played out, the one about having to reveal personal funds spent
on campaigns, et all, and how campaigns work around the restrictions
put in place, and I am just amazed at how Byzantine we have become.

Celia