homestead - Re: [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:42:45 -0800

Sprouts are great stir fried. Also, everyone here loves veggie burritos, so I toss together the sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or . . ., some red onion, grab a clove or two of garlic hanging from the ceiling (minced) and quickly saute. Turn off the flame, lay on some Sonoma Jack or Humboldt Goat cheese put on the lid while I heat up the tortillas and then fill.

NO ONE has ever complained about the Brussel Sprouts and usually ask for more.

They're also great tossed in just before some cubed up bacon is done cooking along with some onions. A whole mess of them, a chunk of cornbread, some greens and tomatoes from the garden with a little EVOO and Balsamic vinegar and everyone is happy.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>

Might not be the sprouts. Might just be the cooking.

That's definitely been the case at Mom's house. Everything boiled within a
minute of collapsing into mush.

I don't mind spinach cooked that way, actually, as long as it's with a chunk
of fatback in the pot and a decanter of vinegar handy. I like it just as
well raw. I've never had it steamed but will try it sometime. I may try the
sprouts again as well, should I find some fresh.