homestead - [Homestead] travelling for homemade cherry pie

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] travelling for homemade cherry pie
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:09:35 -0700

2250 miles at 30 mpg is hmm about 200 gallons r/t, at $5 a gallon
comes to around $1k and 2 or 3 days driving each way. A touch more
money if it was the VW bus (23 mpg), call it 250 gallons r/t. To be
honest I can't see driving half way across the country and not taking the bus.

Sometime in the next few weeks I will be leaving Hollister, CA heading toward Covina, near LA for a couple of days. Then it will be off to the Ozarks. My trip planning shows a bit under 2000 miles total. Towing I get something like 9.5 mpg and with an average gasoline price of $3.30 (a guess) it will be a bit under $700. The date of when I leave depends somewhat on the money situation. I am owed some money I hope to collect.

Monday morning I start the trip by leaving Southern Riverside County for Covina. I will be there for a day or so to put together a 1948 Ford 8N. My friend there is trying to talk me into staying around until the weekend when we will drive to Tulare for a large antique tractor show. If so I will leave for Hollister the following Monday. In Hollister I have to put together three tractors then collect some money then head east. See the journal for details.

Good conversation and the smell of good Pizza, good beer, and now Cherry pie are drawing me forward.

Don Bowen KI6DIU