homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic--spring planting experiment

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic--spring planting experiment
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:54:36 -0400

A lot of horses are frightened of things that flap, especially plastic. The best culprits are those plastic grocery store bags, because they are light enough to rustle in the wind. Tie a few of those to the top of the fence. If you could set up a simple touch activated jack-in-the-box thing and get him squarely once, right in the kisser with something liquid-filled (water balloon type thing) he'll never go back. You could try lying a grate down around the perimeter (sections of hog panel?), they have a strong instinct not to get their feet tangled up in stuff, but please make sure it's anchored lest he get stuck in it and really hurt himself. Last but not least, give him something else to eat. Or send him to me. I like a horse with a sense of humour.