homestead - [Homestead] Coffee tree propagation

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Coffee tree propagation
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:51:37 -0700

On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Jerry W. Shepperd wrote:

After I read your reference to Thomas Jefferson
and coffee, I "googled" the topic and found the
following reference. There is also a picture of
his coffee urn "made to his specifications."

I poked around, too, and found this on some site:

The French became interested in the Indian coffee, but their attempt to propagate coffee in southern France, near Dijon, failed because the tree does not tolerate frost.

So we would need a greenhouse to get a homestead coffee tree through the winter.

Btw, in rereading Eliot Coleman's useful book: Four-Season Gardening, I was again take by his note that his Maine location is the same latitude as southern France.