homestead - Re: [Homestead] fence posts

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fence posts
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:55:57 -0500

> Don't have
> any hedge or good locust, but do have lots of oak. if
> using these is it worth it to soak the underground
> part in any solution, I expect that would cost more
> than purchased posts but, so far, haven't found a
> definate answer.
> Van Dell

I forget where you are, is it NC? If you have a choice of oaks, use
post oak. I use cedar for posts. Neighbors have fences 20 ro 30 years
old with cedar posts, but the next choice would be post oak.

I had to use some pine for posts when I first moved here. They might
last 5 years, but probably less. I did soak the bottom of them in a
barrel with used motor oil and diesel fuel mixed up. That's what my
grandad did to all his posts. Probably not the most environmentally
correct choice.

I'm with Gene though on this. They should use T posts and maybe some
oak for the corners/braces. If they are renting, someday they are
going to wish they could take those posts with them.

The cheapest fence might arguably be electric, depends on what they
are fencing in. It is very portable. Good for a rental situation. I
pay $2 and change for each of the little metal posts, they come with
insulators. You can get by with a wooden or T post on the corners.

Rob - Va