homestead - Re: [Homestead] fence posts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fence posts
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:25:59 EST

> I have some friends who are trying to afford a fence
> on a rented place, absolute bottom dollar is all they
> can afford.

As others have pointed out, it's a tricksty question. If they use T-posts
and take all the fencing materials with them, it has techinally cost nothing.

But if you don't have the cash up front to finance it, then it doesn't matter
how much it doesn't cost, does it?

Oak posts will last several years. You could even take those with you when
you go.

But fences are not the sort of thing you really want to spend a lot of time
or money on on someone else's property. It's often iffy on your own property!

As has been suggested, look into electric fence. You need far fewer posts,
it will work fine 20' or more apart on level ground. The cost is by far the
lowest and you can take everything with you when you go (not through the
Golden
Gates perhaps, but you know what I mean).

Above all, don't fall for the fallacy of 'what's your time worth'. If they
don't enjoy putting up the fence, don't do it at all.

James </HTML>