homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:40:39 -0700

On Mar 3, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Someone had mentioned post hole diggers and spud. My 'Doughnut of Death'
project has required 40 post holes. By eschewing a tractor or gas powered
digger, of course, I wasn't keen on doing them all in a day. But every time I was
in the garden, I dug two or three an soon the job's done without the
encumberance and expense of a seldom used expensive tool.

For the record, I have no resistance to anyone doing anything and everything using only hand tools.

On the matter of fence posts: On the Wisconsin farm and for many years at Heartwood I used only wood posts. Alas, TMEN has removed the photos of the chicken moat that show the wood posts and elegant corner bracing on that project. But after all the work of building fence and after then living more than a few years, I found that despite using cedar and various oak, posts eventually rotted. So now, except for gate posts, I use only metal T-posts. They go in easy. They don't rot. And they can easily be reused.