homestead - [Homestead] Garden fences and walls

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garden fences and walls
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:22:46 -0700

On Feb 10, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I've almost got the 'Doughnut of Death' finished and will soon be setting out
plants, Fava beans and peas will be up before long and will provide a test.

An electrified dog moat. I like it. Send reports. I presume the wires are where the dog won't get zapped.

Many people try to stop deer with very tall fences. It is more effective to do as James has done here, make two fences some distance apart, so marauding deer must be both high jumpers and long jumpers. Rarely does one see champion individual skills in both of these deer olympic events.

Fences go up faster and cheaper than walls, but a shorter wall will also deter deer. They are afraid to jump over a barrier when the other side condition is unknown. They will, however, sometimes stand on their back legs to take a peek, like when they eat your apples.

I am again contemplating my rusty idea of metal fence posts supporting several layers of poultry mesh, then plastered to become ferrocement. Two such walls with cross wires could then be filled with rocks, soil, beer bottles and other disposables to eventually become a foot-thick wall, which when capped with more wire and mortar would become a monolithic structure that would hold daytime heat to support season- end growing conditions in south-side raised growing beds.

All visitors are welcome to join the construction crew.