homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moles

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moles
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:19:06 -0800

Gene GeRue wrote:

I sometimes think that one should just bite the bullet and built a fortress wall around the garden, like the Nearings, with a concrete foundation below where any mole, vole, gopher, rabbit or groundhog would dig

i've wondered about that. how deep was it?

explosions underground are pretty effective. there's even a system they sell for doing it, with the igniter and all. we watched the demo video. but still... the guy's pants caught fire in one of the demos

gassing with flares and such i'm not confident of, because hot gas won't reach any portion of the tunnel system that's lower than the point of injection. my hamster was very skilled at avoiding the smoke from the power hitter (the things teenagers do) just by seeking the lowest point in the cage. even if they could be trapped that way, why couldn't they quickly block up the tunnel?

at the Cob Village back in Coos County, where they're serious about sustainable agriculture, i asked Ianto how they had solved the vole problem. he said they had acquired two male kittens and actually trained them with some live mice to live on small animals.

Bill
S. Oregon coast