homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fences and walls

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fences and walls
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:41:16 EST

> I presume the wires
> are where the dog won't get zapped.

No, if he's careless, he'll get zapped. Dogs train to electric fences faster
than any animal I know, including humans who can be abysmally stupid around
electic fences. As is Appalachian custom, the dog has two names Merle Lynn,
which properly pronounced sounds like Merlin. He'll have about 2 1/2' by
360'
zap free zone in which to carry on which is plenty room carry on. The
design includes dog house and two shelters for rain and shade. He won't be
on
continuous duty, he'll be spelled off by one of the pure Aussies from time to
time. Too, dogs are like the electric fence per se. You could have the dog
in
there two days a week and it would be just as effective as around the clock.

By the bye, you'd mentioned birds. We had the devil of a time with birds,
espcially crows, until I tried the trick of stringing the cheap black
polyester
sewing thread about 20" above the ground or above plants and the crows, and
most other birds, positively will not go near it. This past year I planted
hard
corn in rows instead of my usual mounds. I put three stakes at each end of a
row, two 18" tall and the middle one 24" tall about 1' apart and put a single
black thread beween each pair of stakes (three threads per row). I didn't
lose one corn plant to crows.

The only pest my Doughnut idea isn't going ot work on is turkeys, wild
turkeys, which are beginning to rival the deer in numbers. Mercifully they
don't
frequent the garden often.

I'm not holding my breath on the Doughnut of Death, but the principles you
outlined, Gene, about what spooks deer seem to be pretty much the case. My
strawberry beds, units of beds, are 12' wide and about 16' long which allows
for a
6' wide center bed, two 2' aisles, and two 2' beds toward the outside. Right
when we were about to get a good harvest, the deer would come along and mow
them. Two years ago I put up posts and 4' field fencing so that the deer are
faced with jumping a 4' fence to get into a 12' space. They won't do it.
Haven't lost one plant to them in two years. And deer are as thick as fleas
here
abouts.

These strawberry gardens have gateposts made of 16' cedar saplings and by
each of these I planted a hops vine. I had two small barley plots and so I
am
documenting my etirely-off-the-farmstead-brew. I've got pictures of every
step
of the process from seed and root-cutting to pouring the beer into a pilsner
glass except I didnt' manage to get a picture of the end of the sprouting and
the first drying of the malt. When I do, I'm going to put up a web page
about
it. So what if the world collapses so long as brewskis grow right out of the
ground!

I'm butchering wether goats today. Killed them five days ago and had the
luck of perfect weather for aging the carcasses.

</HTML>