homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food costs up sharply--order your seeds

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food costs up sharply--order your seeds
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:43:17 -0800

Before we bought this place we lived in Eureka. Roses love Humboldt County and our alley neighbor used to do testing for Jackson Perkins. There was also another guy that did test growing for them that lived over by Safeway on the East side of town. Both the frontyards were absolutely gorgeous. Just a riot of colors and big beautiful healthy plants.

About a year before we sold our place, the little house on the alley was sold. I believe I mentioned that I got several hundred dollars in Italian porcelein 12" square tiles that the woman was going to take to the dump. Well, we weren't fast enough on the roses. We came back from grocery shopping one day to see a dumpster being driven out and it was full of roses. They dug up all those roses and had them hauled off to the dump! Just criminal. And blessed if a year later, the house on the other side of town sold and the new owners did the same thing!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "clhw" <clhw AT infoave.net>

snip<
Recently, Jackson and Perkins opened a retail store with an outlet for
Wayside Gardens in the same building, on the 72 By-Pass in the city of
Greenwood. This is in the old Wal-Mart Plaza, before a super Wal-Mart was
constructed. I'm really wanting to go see what they have. Most of the
Wayside Gardens nurseries are in Hodges, which is a small Greenwood County
town I travel through several times a week. They were mostly behind closed
gates and operated as a catalog sales business only. I guess this outlet is
a trial effort to see how well it's received. It is about 1/2 mile from
Jerry's Produce which sells Park plants in a big way. They hatch out Park
seedlings and I like to buy my plants from them already on their way to
growth.