homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food costs up sharply--order your seeds

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food costs up sharply--order your seeds
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:40:16 -0400

I guess you can tell I've done proof reading in my past!

Anyway, Park is still going strong and is the moving force behind the
annual Festival of Flowers which is a major observance for Greenwood
County, South Carolina. People come from all over the world to observe the
Park gardens, buy crafts and plants, sell their goods, compete (my daughter
won a 2nd prize year before last for her silver chainmaille jewelry).
FujiNorthAmerica which is located in Greenwood County sponsors a
photography competition which has hundreds of entries. Some really gorgeous
stuff to look at. This is the first or second week of June every year.

Recently, Jackson and Perkins opened a retail store with an outlet for
Wayside Gardens in the same building, on the 72 By-Pass in the city of
Greenwood. This is in the old Wal-Mart Plaza, before a super Wal-Mart was
constructed. I'm really wanting to go see what they have. Most of the
Wayside Gardens nurseries are in Hodges, which is a small Greenwood County
town I travel through several times a week. They were mostly behind closed
gates and operated as a catalog sales business only. I guess this outlet is
a trial effort to see how well it's received. It is about 1/2 mile from
Jerry's Produce which sells Park plants in a big way. They hatch out Park
seedlings and I like to buy my plants from them already on their way to
growth.

Jack Jenkins, married to Karen Park Jenkins, told me that Park intends to
retain its family orientation even though succeeding generations have
diversified and there has been some foreign investment in the last few
years. He does not have a very good opinion of Monsanto even though, with
the Greenwood After Hours program, he and Karen rub elbows with some of
their management.

I need to pay some medical bills and editing is one thing I can do!
Lynn