homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:42:17 -0700

On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Now you're talking! The stack of beige fire brick just outside the kitchen
window have been staring accusingly at me for three years now. They are for
the floor of the clay oven. At the bottom of one of the creeks we have a
deposit of some very fine kaolin like clay.

Get on with it, man! That way I can learn from your mis . . ., um, efforts.

It certainly does not require an advanced engineering degree. My greatest pause is that it would be a piece of work to take asunder if location choice is wrong. I actually have a near-perfect place, under the high and extended shed roof of the East Wing. It is close enough to serve the kitchen handily, but would require building over the fine ferrocement bed I built there.

I keep losing my crystal ball.

I was looking at old writings this morning and came across one about the importance of making a master plan before any building or permanent garden construction. Well, even with a good master plan, I have this clay oven example of how you just can't think of everything.