homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:20:09 EST

> I am contemplating the best place to build a clay oven for
> summer pizzas and bread.

Now you're talking! The stack of beige fire brick just outside the kitchen
window have been staring accusingly at me for three years now. They are for
the floor of the clay oven. At the bottom of one of the creeks we have a
deposit of some very fine kaolin like clay.

The plan calls for a covered board beside the oven where the bread can be
prepared. Then the oven can be heated to bread temps, 600 degrees or better
for
some of the sourdough oven-spring type breads. As the bread is don and the
oven is cooling, overed cast iron vessels of boiled dinner, stews, sheperds
pie,
and such go in, followed by the veggies, and then the pie of desert. All
cooked on the same firing. (I just did a type and wrote 'sane firing'
instead of
'same firing' but hey, if it fits!)

As far as these primitive ovens and hornos go, welcome to the future. It
looks delicious. </HTML>