homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:01:47 EST

> My plan is to stick a 110 induction stand alone in the screened porch and
> use it for canning. This is fine with water bath canning because I can get
> steel speckle ware canners. However, seems all the pressure canners are
> aluminum.

OK, then here's a crazy idea (as the Pistacchio charater in "Master of
Disguise" says) so crazy it just might work!

Get a brake disk ($10 or so for a new one at the parts place) which is around
1/2" thick and of a diameter that will fit in the bottom of the pressure
canner. Would not the induction lines pass right through the aluminum and
heat up
the steel disk?

Canning at the zenith of summer heat is the pits. I've been working on
building a metal awning shed with a flue away from the house and putting in a
wood
cookstove on which to do canning. </HTML>