homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question Time Again
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:23:07 -0700

On Jan 13, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Canning at the zenith of summer heat is the pits. I've been working on
building a metal awning shed with a flue away from the house and putting in a wood
cookstove on which to do canning.

A summer kitchen is a giggling luxury and in some climates a near necessity. In our little, preposterously-named East Wing we have a sink, a single gas burner, a modest propane refrigerator, and adequate counter space. A ceiling fan and three-wall ventilation completes the design. I am contemplating the best place to build a clay oven for summer pizzas and bread.