homestead - Re: [Homestead] wells

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wells
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:57:38 -0500

We ran out of water last night at 11pm. This was the second time in two weeks. Upon initial investigation Ron saw sparks when he engaged the power to the pump (at the lug that carries half the voltage to the pump). We are thinking it might be the wiring, which is as old as the pump(maybe 30+ years). Our well usually has good water quality,is 125 ft deep (actually 115 due to a cave-in years ago) and while the volume or pressure isn't there, it recharges quickly-usually.
In past years, IF we were going to run out of water, it was in October and November when the water tables are lowest. We conserve as much as we can this time of year to prevent such, and this is the first year in maybe 7 that we were out of water. Even when we run out, like last night, the well recharges after a few hours. We usually wait 4-6 hours, turn the pump on and we have water again. Spurts and sputters at first, then lightly muddy, but this usually clears up within a day. We turned the pump back on this morning, and voila, water, and it's almost clear again now.
The thing is, when Ron was checking power last night, he said he did not hear the hum of it running like usual. He doesn't have his DVOM at home, but will try to get it tomorrow to further test the wiring.
We cannot afford a new well. They want 4K up front just to come out, and that estimate is several years old. Now that the drought is killing everyone, I'm sure well drillers are even more expensive.
If a new pump is needed, is this something that we could do, or would it be better to hire it out? Thoughts?
I'm worried that when we ran out of water a couple of weeks ago(we came home from work to no water-had a leak in an automatic waterer outside) that somehow messed up the pump because usually we turn the pump off immediately. But then, we had no way of knowing how long the pump had been empowered trying to pump water out of the dry or almost dry reservoir.
Ron says he thinks ours has two and a ground...says he is not sure, though. He says the thing may not even be grounded.
Also, once last year, we had some kind of short that blew the FUSE to the pump.(yup, fuse) We fixed that in short order.

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

how much does a well pump cost?

In the case you are talking about an electric deep well pump, they are much cheaper and much better then they used to be. The capacitive start is in the pump itself, that is, they no longer require the capacitive start box external to the pump as they used to. When they did you had to have three live wires and a ground. Now it's two and a ground and that makes things much cheaper. We have a deep well pump in the cistern. The last one I bought was about $225. Most now are under $300.

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.