homestead - Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:03:52 EST

> To be happy with
> said modest amount creates great freedom.

The IRS has ignored us for years. We still file, but I can tell they'd just
as soon we didn't. It's so little that I don't deduct for the expenses of my
business rather holding it in reserve in case there's ever an audit. "Oh,
there's the matter of these expenses on the Schedule C, by all means, let's
recaclulate!"

> I love to design and build. One of the facts that gives me pause is
> that as I build more, I will be taxed more.

Went through the same thing. Our electricity use is so small that I've never
hooked up the 200 amp service but rather still have the 60 amp temporary
service. And that's an overkill. As it turns out the definition of
"unfinished"
house is one with a temporary electrical hookup. When the 4 year
reassessment
came up, the bill doubled. I called out the assessor and showed (among other
things) the temp electrical hook up. Here, as with you, the assessor is an
elected post and he was very happy to adjust the bill and even looked around
and deducted for some other things. This county is not as enlightened as
yours
(too many cities in it) and so our 20 acres and cottage pays about $225 in
property taxes. </HTML>