homestead - Re: [Homestead] wells

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wells
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:08:41 -0500

Below is an excerpt from a private email on the subject. It bears
important in these considerations. Some of you already know about Ron's
surgery, so I won't re-iterate here, but suffice it to say that he is
not 100% yet.
"we certainly didn't need this complication to life, especially when I
know next to nothing about wells. Ron walked out there last night, but
only a week out of surgery, he is not able to crawl in the well house
and check things out fully, especially in the dark. It is a nightmare
of a well house,(so covered with old insulation and other junk-just a
low cinderblock 'house', no mortar, very unorthodox construction and
layout) and in 10 years, we have never even found the line going to the
house. We have searched under the house, but can't even see where it
comes up out of the ground. We have come to the conclusion that the
water line is run in the cinderblock foundation and in the wall...It's
just a mess. "

How-some-ever ........ if the pump supply isn't humming as usual,
that would be what you'd expect in an empty well. There's no load on
the pump and it's not drawing much current (amperage) so it will run
differently.

Yeah, the recharge rate isn't quite as good now, due to the drought.
Because the well is so deep, it will take more than a few small rains to
put water back down there.

If a pump runs dry for long time (doesn't have a flow cutoff switch),
the impeller housing will heat up and ruin. In that case the pump
must be replaced. It will run normally but there will be no water
lifted.

It's a drought of Biblical proportions from you to us. You really
have to determine first whether there's any water in the well, and
the only way I can suggest to do that is lift the pump and see if
it's wet. </HTML>

Ouch. Well, the truth hurts, doesn't it? I don't know what we can do
today or tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted on what we find out and do.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.