homestead - Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:22:52 -0700

On Nov 18, 2007, at 7:49 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

As for the rest, we are under paradigm of "Render unto Caesar the things that
are Caesar's."

Along the same philosophical vein, I have long said that my ideal personal economic world is where I need, and therefore need produce, so little cash that the IRS totally disregards me. To be happy with said modest amount creates great freedom.

I love to design and build. One of the facts that gives me pause is that as I build more, I will be taxed more. Thus far my thought is to build but to build in such a modest manner that the tax assessor feels sorry for me. A couple years ago the Heartwood tax bill arrived and it was double or triple what it had been for years, which is less than a hundred dollars per year for 130 acres and an old, shacky, farmhouse. Since then an A-frame has been built. I called the Assessor, an elected position in Ozark County, and had a satisfying discussion. Seems that the assessor's field man had assumed that the shack and the A-frame were both hooked up to deep wells and septic systems. Not so. Water from the stream and bucket toilets. She apologized and recalculated. The taxes I paid last week were $93.03.