homestead - Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What is a homesteader?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 10:54:48 EST

> I like to joke that Scott would have lived far longer if he had
> drudged less and made more music with Helen. An editor for whom I
> once wrote a monthly column had a long telephone interview with
> Helen, wherein Helen did in fact state in pretty much direct words
> that Scott was a sourpuss who had low-level humor and didn't have
> near enough fun.

When I read Helen's eulogy of Scott's death at 100 in the preface to the
1989 edition of "The Good Life", my first reaction was "Why did he die so
young??"

People in my family ate pork, uncorked the jug, and did all sorts of things
Nearing decried and lived longer than that.

I think your posit is the most significant. He was a sourpuss. I have some
videos of him filmed in the 1970's and although there is a humor there, it's
like Sweet-Tarts, jaw locking sour underneath.

But also he decried drinking water. He said it washed out the minerals and
you'd get plenty of water with your food (he advocated soup daily). I think
that is most unhealthy! Is the soft drink Dr. Pepper available all over the
US?
It was named after a real Dr. Charles Pepper right here in Bristol,
Tennessee. His son-in-law in Rural Retreat Va devised and marketed it (Dr.
Pepper
died in 1903). The 10-2-4 on the soda cap came from Dr. Pepper's admonition
drink only water and he had a clock rigged in his doctor/pharmacy shop to
chime at those hours whereupon he'd drink 24 ounces of water. Part of
Nearings
death at such a tender age was due, says I, to dehydration.

Also, the occasion of his death was a stroke. He ate, says I, far too little
fat. He claims to have not eaten any animal fat, but records show he didn't
follow that and ate cottage cheese and sour cream until the end. None he
less, his diet was too austere and I think he starved his brain into a stroke.

I like a lot of what Nearing said, much of what he did, but I wouldn't want
to be him,

James </HTML>